Name Change in Minnesota

A name change in Minnesota is pretty easy.  You begin by completing a form called ” Petition for Name Change” and file the form with the district court in the county where you live.  The form requires a reason for your request. Any reason is ok except to avoid creditors.   You may choose to change your first name, middle name or last name-or all three.   There is a filing fee of over $300.00.     You will then have a court appearance before a judge a few weeks after you file.   The judge will ask you questions related to why you want the change and then order the name change.   Remember to change your social security information and your drivers’ license after your name change.  The Social Security Administration has a special form that you must fill out.  Most courthouses have the name change form or you may go to the Minnesota Judicial Branch website and get a form online.

About Kate Willmore, Esq.

Kate Willmore, Saint Cloud, Minnesota, divorce, custody and family attorney brings over 25 years experience to every client's legal matter. *** Licensed in Minnesota and in California

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: